Monday, 5 May 2014

Au pairing in London: visa requirements

What do I need to be an au pair in the UK?

In order to be an au pair in the UK you will need to be one of the following:
1.An EU citizen
2.An EEA or Swiss citizen
3. a British overseas territories citizen
4. a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here eg you hold an Ancestral Visa

Au pairs from non-EU countries can apply for a UK Youth Mobility Visa if they are a citizen of one of the following countries:
Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco and New Zealand, South Korea and Taiwan. These nationals must obtain a Youth Mobility visa in order to be an au pair and must be aged 18-30 inclusive to qualify. For details of how and where to apply visit the following UK Border Agency webpage:
The UK government imposes limits on the number of applicants per year who can come to the UK with a Youth Mobility visa.

For further information on visas and nationalities not covered here please refer to

Other requirements:
An au pair must be an unmarried person aged between 17 and 30 who is without dependants. An au pair comes to the UK to learn English and live with an English-speaking family to work as an Au Pair. Au Pairs assist with housework and take care of any children in the household. The Au Pair normally receives pocket money and lodgings and would be expected to attend an educational institute at least twice a week to gain further English language skills.

For more information about visa regulations see

No comments:

Post a Comment