Monday 16 April 2012

Anna's Au Pairing Experience

Here is a story from one of our au pairs and her experience in Dublin, Ireland last summer.

Hello Kangaroos! :)

I am sending you my success story.
As my first full year of being an au-pair in Ireland was coming to an end, I knew that I don’t want to go home yet. That’s why I started looking for a new family for the next and final year. I spent hours on the internet until I finally found a family in Dublin.  We really “clicked” in the emails. The only problem was that I had to leave my current hostfamily in June, because they had another girl coming. This Dublin family needed someone to start in September.  That meant that I have to find somewhere to stay for the three months. I was lucky and found a family with four boys in Kilkenny, they needed an aupair just for the summer time and were fine with the fact that I will leave in September.  Summer in Kilkenny was wonderful and if you ever come to Ireland, the Kilkenny castle is a must-see for you.  Nothing but one thing could ruin my summer -the Dublin family sent me an email saying that their aupair decided to stay longer so they won’t need me.

And there I was, back in the cold waters of the internet. I don’t know how, I don’t know where it came from, but all of the sudden I saw a little kangaroo smiling at me from my computer screen. I didn’t know this website, but I decided to give it a try. And it was a good decision I must say. It didn’t last long until I found a message from Bettina.  They had one baby to look after and lived in Cork city. I replied to her message and not so long after that we met in person.  And because we both had a good feeling about each other, by the end of October I was already moving to Cork.

I was really nicely surprised that they came all the way to Kilkenny to collect me so I didn’t have to carry all my bags on the bus. I got a lovely room and my very own bathroom.

It’s been four months since I started in this family and I can’t complain at all. I met lots of new people and made some really great friends. I even found a boyfriend here! Me and my hostparents became really good friends and baby Aileen is like my little sister.  We have loads of fun together.  We often go to the ZOO or just down to the shopping centre for a smoothie. I wouldn’t change my hostfamily for the world.

If you are considering becoming an aupair, don’t hesitate.  It’s a great experience that you’ll remember forever. You’ll meet new people from all around the world (Ireland is full of aupairs!) and you will see new places and learn the language as a bonus.  Don’t be afraid and don’t wait for tomorrow. I am sure that the perfect hostfamily is waiting for you right here.  Good luck!

Thanks a lot for being on the internet, without you I wouldn’t find this family and I wouldn’t start my life over :)

Anna

Czech aupair Anna, 23

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete